- 2 medium-size apples (13 ounces), preferably Granny Smith
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of spices, totaling about 1/4 teaspoon
- Squeeze of lemon juice or splash of pure vanilla extract (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and chopped
Preheat oven to 350°.
Peel, core and chop apples and place into a quart-size ziplock freezer bag. Add sugars, spices and lemon or vanilla into bag, then seal bag and gently shake to evenly coat all pieces. Set aside while you make the topping.
To make the topping:
Place all topping ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until ingredients are blended with some large clumps beginning to form.
Place two 6-inch square pans on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. This makes it easier to pull in and out of the oven and will catch any juices that bubble over while baking.
Pour the seasoned apples into the pans and cover evenly with the topping. Bake 30–40 minutes until topping is golden and juices are bubbling. Remove pans to a cooling rack and cool. Serve warm with ice cream.
(use approximately 7 ounces per 6-inch square pan)
About this recipe
65 King St, Chappaqua • 914.238.8300