- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups bite-size chunks of fresh wild mushrooms
- 6 cups wild mushroom stock
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- Sea salt and pepper
Combine olive oil and butter in a heavy stockpot over medium-high heat, then add onion, celery and garlic and cook until softened. Stir in curry powder and a pinch of salt and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add parsnips, thyme, mushrooms and stock and bring to a boil, then lower heat and gently simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes. Add wild rice and simmer, partially covered, for another 30 minutes.
Stir in buttermilk and cream, adding a little water if it needs thinning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat thoroughly and serve.